Monday, January 16, 2006

Good Morning

"MLK/New Day" Print

Good Morning Lord. Thank you for today. I am here for another day. Another chance to get things done right. Thank you Lord for this beautiful day.

Hello Sweetheart, How was your night? Did you sleep well? Did you have anymore headaches or dizziness? Please, please, please tell me you are working more aggressively to diagnose and treat whatever this is. There are many, many, many different physicians with lots of expertise in many, many, different areas. I believe in the power of prayers too.

I was informed in church that you were in the Tribune. I bought it and looked through the papers wondering what it could be about. Finally my mom brought the magazine to me and showed me your picture. It's a good picture. I read the article, it was very moving. I remember I was eight at the time and my stepfather was very active in the movement. He used to take us to meetings, I don't remember being at the Marquette Park event. I do remember there was a lot of buzz about it.

 That's what is so compelling about MLK, he was there for housing issues, school issues or employment issues. He stated the truth and stood his ground to try and be heard by the powers that control the big pieces of the pie. His non violence stance was what peoples attention. They saw their own ugliness and some were horrified at their own amount of anger. Small changes were made and open displays of anger have since ceased except when they pop up with a child riding their bike in the wrong neighborhood. A homeless man beaten by two teenagers. Or when a hurricane destroyes a city and the ones able to get away have the means and the ones who can't are the poor. King stood for the poor and middle class of color. I can imagine when King saw the women's movement, the War in Vietnam and the flower child stuff begin to take over the world's attention, he knew they sprang out of his civil rights movement. The black power movement helped to give black people a separate identity that looked and sounded different, but it still didn't empower them economically. Where do we go from here? Forty years later and most of the same problems still exist. We never give up hope. We just attack it a different way.

I'm going to start washing clothes and get ready for my day. Have a really blessed day and know that you are loved.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive