Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Power of Words

Word have the power to influence and to hurt. Black women have long been portrayed in the media and in the community as negative, loud, ugly, sexually promiscuous and victims. Victims of black men's abuse both verbally and physically. I'm watching Dateline's topic on the Imus focus and I find new and old topics being raised. We've constantly struggled with the rap music degrading our women but now, we get to address it again with black women who are not willing to let it keep happening, are now talking about it openly. When black men were calling their own women "ho's" and "b's" it was hurtful but it didn't stop. Now a white man has done it and we have a champion to help fight our fight. People who can make a difference. Will it stop, maybe. Will someone think twice about using negative stereotypes about people, yes. We may us a mask to shield our prejudices but at some point the mask will fall and the truth will come out. We must talk about this and we must understand the power of words. This continues to be the fallout of racism. Words. Why do we need to degrade to make money?

I have to finish my grades. I didn't have a chance to do them yesterday. I have to figure out what's going on with us. Me and you. Why is it important for me to figure something out. What makes us so important? I pray that God knows my going to church is not just about seeing you. Its because I LOVE THE LORD. I LOVE GOD. I LOVE JESUS. I will give up everything, for God.

 

 

 

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive